Canadians for Tax Fairness is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organization advocating for fair and progressive tax policies aimed at building a strong and sustainable economy, reducing inequalities and funding quality public services. More...
We believe in a country where taxation is regarded as a way to invest in Canada and Canadians. We believe in a progressive tax system where all individuals and corporations pay their fair share.
We believe that Canada in the 21st century should be a society in which economic disparities are decreasing, basic needs are met by investing in high-quality public services, economic policies are designed to protect our environment, and the will of the people drives our political process.
The mission of Canadians for Tax Fairness is to build a national campaign to promote fair taxation. We support the development and implementation of a tax system, based on ability to pay, to fund the comprehensive, high-quality network of public services and programs required to meet our social, economic and environmental needs in the 21st century. Canadians for Tax Fairness will work together with other groups and individuals who share our goals.
We will campaign for a fair tax system that:
- puts the needs of Canadians first
- means progressive taxation, where those who have more contribute more
- puts an end to tax loopholes for the wealthiest
- means ending the race to the bottom on corporate tax rates because corporations also have a responsibility to society
- opposes the use of offshore tax havens and banking hideaways
- includes the use of goods and services taxes to encourage sustainable social and environmental practices by taxing the "bads" more than the "goods"
- includes the introduction of new sources of public revenue, such as a financial transaction tax
Canadians for Tax Fairness will:
- develop and promote progressive tax policies that are rooted in Canadian values, and that strengthen our capacity to provide public services and protect our environment.
- create a grassroots counter-force to anti-tax crusaders by organizing national campaign activities and mobilizing volunteers.
- actively lobby all levels of government for the related legislation, regulations and policies.
- create an online clearinghouse for popular education tools and support materials.
create public communications opportunities for progressive economists and other experts through a proactive media relations program.
Board of Directors
Diana Gibson (Chair)
Analyst, Policy Link.
David Langille (Treasurer)
Lecturer, York University.
Director of Labour Relations and General Counsel, Association of Canadian Financial Officers.
Executive Director, Toronto Neighbourhood Centres, fair tax workshop innovator.
Research & Policy Analyst with the Income Security Advocacy Centre.
National Union of Public and General Employees.
Senior Economist, CUPE.
National Advisory Council
Tax law professor, co-author The Trouble With Billionaires.
General Secretary, Canadian Council of Churches.
Former Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary of Cabinet for three Prime Ministers.
Social justice lawyer, former President, Canadian Environmental Defence Fund.
Journalist and author.
Former Secretary of State (Finance) and former TD Bank Chief Economist.
CM, QC, lawyer, editor Canadian Rights Reporter.
Former Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada.
Technical Advisory Committee
Packer Visiting Professor of Social Justice, York University.
Senior Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, BC Office.
Coordinator, Alternative Federal Budget, CCPA.
Economic consultant, Chair and President, Atkinson Foundation.
Author, researcher, statistician.
Author Economics for Everyone, economist, Unifor.
Senior Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
Dennis Howlett, Executive Director
- Gail Dugas, Communications Coordinator
Global Alliance for Tax Justice - is the campaigning body that has grown from roots in the research-strong Tax Justice Network. Founded in Lima, Peru in March 2013, GATJ’s initial coalition of 81 organisations is growing daily in every region of the world. We campaign and advocate for a world with fair and equitable tax systems that fund vital public services for all.
Tax Justice Network(link is external) - international network of organizations and individuals working on tax justice issues.
Tax Justice Network USA(link is external) - Tax Justice Network USA promotes tax justice and tax cooperation, including policies to address tax avoidance, tax evasion and the lack of financial transparency in our government, corporations and financial institutions.
- Citizens for Tax Justice(link is external) - US organization focused on fair tax issues
- All Together Now - National Union of Public and General Employess (NUPGE)(link is external) - campaign for public services and fair taxation
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives(link is external) - progressive think tank with excellent reports and research documents
- Doctors for Fair Taxation(link is external) - a group of medical doctors who believe that we must increase government revenues in a fair fashion to protect needed public services and reduce government deficits and debt.
- Lawyers for Fair Taxation(link is external) - Lawyers for Fair Taxation is a group of licensed Canadian lawyers who believe that we must increase government revenues in a fair fashion to protect needed public services and reduce government deficits and debt.
- Faith Leaders for Fair Taxation (link is external)- Faith Leaders for Fair Taxation is a group of religious leaders from Canada’s major faith communities who united by the call to justice and compassion which lies the root of our beliefs. We believe that as a society, we must increase government revenues in a fair fashion to protect public services and reduce government deficits and debt. We strongly oppose austerity measures that hit hardest those members of our society who already endure harsh lives. It is profoundly unjust and immoral to balance government budgets on the backs of our most vulnerable neighbours.
- Canada Uncut(link is external) - a horizontally organized (i.e, decentralized)campaign, part of the international network of Uncut groups in numerous countries
- Progressive Economics Forum(link is external) - great source of info from progressive economists and tax experts
Canadian Centre for Policy Alterntives BC Office
- Better Way Alberta(link is external) - Tax and royalty reform for strong public services
Join Together Alberta(link is external) - a coalition of groups that are jointly advocating for proper funding for vital public services in Alberta
- Public Interest Alberta - Advocating for a Better Alberta for All.
- Nova Scotians for Tax Fairness - a voluntary organization that seeks to broaden the public discussion about the essential role played by the tax system in financing public services and supporting greater equality. It advocates for fair tax policies and enhanced public services.
New Brunswick Common Front for Social Justice(link is external) - The Common Front for Social Justice is fighting to build a more human society based on the respect and dignity of all. We want a New Brunswick without poverty. We want a society which give each and everyone a decent living, in particular by having a minimum wage and social income on which citizens can to live on and not just exist.
L'Association pour la Taxation des Transactions financières pour l'Aide aux Citoyens (ATTAC)(link is external) - is the Quebec Chapter of a Global Movement working for a Financial Transaction Tax and to close tax havens and loopholes.
Échec aux paradis fiscaux - Campaign de sensibilisasion des plusieurs organisations du Québec s’intéressant aux finances publiques ont été confrontées aux paradis fiscaux.
Social Justice Co-operative of Newfoundland and Labrador - is committed to raising awareness and speaking out on issues of social justice that impact our community and our world at large.
Canadians for Tax Fairness is proud to count on the following organizations for providing technical resources and financial support:
- Association of Canadian Financial Officers
- Canadian Association of Social Workers(link is external)
- Canadian Association of University Teachers(link is external)
- Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions(link is external)
- Canadian Labour Congress(link is external)
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers(link is external)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees(link is external)
- Citizens for Public Justice(link is external)
- British Columbia Teachers' Federation(link is external)
- Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario(link is external)
- Inter Pares(link is external)
- KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives(link is external)
- National Union of Public and General Employees(link is external)
- Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association(link is external)
- Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation(link is external)
- Public Service Alliance of Canada(link is external)
- SEIU Canadian Council(link is external)
- TAYPE International Business Services
- UFCW Canada(link is external)
- United Steelworkers(link is external)
- The Professional Institute of Public Service of Canada(link is external)
- United Church of Canada
firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail)
Gail Dugas, Communications Coordinator
email@example.com(link sends e-mail)
309 Cooper Street,
OTTAWA ON K2P 0G5
Canadians for Tax Fairness
192 Main Street,
PO Box 12015
OTTAWA ON K1S 3M1