Canadians for Tax Fairness in the news
Tax Fairness Advocates Applaud Apple EU Decision
This 7 minute audio interview with Radio Canada International brings home what Canada should be doing about global tax dodgers.
The Isle of Sham:
This explosive documentary blows the cover off a tax scheme developed by a big-name tax firm that allegedly funnelled money to the Isle of Man with the express purpose of avoiding Canadian taxes. Want to know how it is possible that there is $199Billion of Canadian money offshore? This will help. It also shows that tax avoidance that pushes the limits of the law is not a fringe activity.
TVO: The Agenda with Steve Paikin
Is it immoral for multinationals to spend millions avoiding taxes in the countries where they do business? C4TF's President Diana Gibson takes on a Bay Street lawyer in this 20 minute discussion on TVOntario's flaghship public affairs program The Agenda.
The Luxembourg Leaks have provided an inside view of the complicated and cynical attempts of multi-nationals to avoid paying taxes. The story prompted CBC's flagship business program, The Exchange to have an extended interview with Tax Fairness' Dennis Howlett. The piece starts at 17:47.
The Globe and Mail
Government ads tout Conservative income-splitting policy not yet law.
- Even OECD and G20 leaders know that something has to be done to tackle tax havens. Read this in-depth piece by the Globe and Mail which includes observations by Dennis Howlett, executive director of Canadians for Tax Fairness.
- Watch this great documentary done by the current affairs program 16x9 about how Canadian companies use tax havens to avoid taxes and shortchange their workers. http://globalnews.ca/news/976581/tax-dodge/
CBC Radio Sunday Edition
- Tax Fairness' Dennis Howlett explains the murky world of corporate tax avoidance and what Canada needs to do to keep us safe http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/features/2014/03/16/tax-fairness/
- CEOs don't have to pay tax on 50 per cent of the income when they cash in multi-million dollar stock option package. That's costly and just wrong, says Dennis Howlett in this letter.
- On the "Corporations, Pay Your Fair Share!" speaking tour in Saskatchewan, Dennis Howlett gives this interview to the Star-Phoenix and the Leader Post.
Harper's Income Splitting Tax Only Benefits the Already Rich
- Why does a hard-working, self-employed African woman pay more income tax than a multinational brewery? Find out about the insanity and injustice of tax systems in this column.
- Every year Canada gives away $1 billion to CEOs already getting multi-million dollar paycheques. It has to stop, says Dennis Howlett in this opinion piece.
- Should the United Nations step up its game in the global fight against tax havens? Canadians for Tax Fairness weighs in with this interview in Canada's magazine for the diplomatic corps and the foreign service.
- The global aspect to tax justice is a multi-trillion dollar shell game that promotes poverty and worse. Listen to RCI Host Wojtek Gwiazda in conversation with Dennis Howlett about the issue and an international gathering at McGill University to explore solutions.