Fair tax policy affects individuals, families, communities and what kind of Canada we leave for our children.
We believe in a country where taxation is regarded as a way to invest in Canada and Canadians. We believe in a progressive tax system where all individuals and corporations pay their fair share.
We believe that Canada in the 21st century should be a society in which economic disparities are decreasing, common needs are met by investing in high-quality public services, economic policies are designed to protect our environment, and the will of the people drives our political process.
The mission of Canadians for Tax Fairness is to build a national campaign to promote fair taxation. We support the development and implementation of a tax system, based on ability to pay, to fund the comprehensive, high-quality network of public services and programs required to meet our social, economic and environmental needs in the 21st century.
We work hard to change the way Canadians talk about tax. We conduct research do public outreach, work with media on new stories and perspectives, and encourage policymakers to develop fair practices. We regularly meet with politicians and actively encourage a political vision that works for all Canadians.
We will campaign for a fair tax system:
- that puts the needs of Canadians first
- where those who have more contribute more
- that ends tax loopholes for the wealthiest
- that ends the race to the bottom on corporate tax rates
- that actively discourages offshore tax havens and banking hideaways
- that strategically uses goods and services taxes for optimal social and environmental impacts
- that creates new sources of public revenue, such as a financial transaction tax