Passionate about economic equality, skilled in communications and interested in working in a small progressive advocacy organization making a difference?
Canadians for Tax Fairness is seeking a Communications Coordinator to cover a maternity leave for approximately 18 months. This position has primary responsibility for preparation of communications material, media relations, maintaining our website, social media, and shares in our policy, advocacy administration, fundraising and other work.
Canadians for Tax Fairness is not-for-profit tax justice organization that advocates for fair and progressive tax policies aimed at reducing inequalities, funding quality public services and building a strong and sustainable economy. We have a small staff of three, work very collaboratively, and are looking for someone with a wide range of skills who will be happy working in our flexible and collaborative environment.
This work will primarily involve:
- Writing, editing production and promotion of media releases, opinion articles, newsletters, briefs, reports, newsletters, and other communications and campaign material.
- Media relations, including developing relations with journalists, promoting our work, planning and developing our communications activities, providing advice on communications activities, and tracking and reporting on media coverage.
- Website and social media, including managing and maintaining the taxfairness.ca website and Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media sites, writing content, selecting and creating graphic content, assisting with organizing and hosting webinars, developing strategies to increase social media and e-action exposure and engagement, and producing e-newsletters.
- Administrative tasks including managing the CiviCRM database, developing and participating in fundraising campaigns, responding to requests for information, and assisting with fundraising and other administrative tasks as necessary.
- Other activities, including collaborating with our Canadian and international allies, identifying priorities, research, policy and advocacy work.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Experience working in communications, media relations and/or as a journalist.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and the ability to communicate in a clear and accessible manner
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to produce results on tight deadlines.
- Creativity, lots of initiative, dynamic energy, analytic skills, and the ability to thrive in a collaborative and flexible working environment.
- Skills in maintaining websites, graphic design, database and online communications tools.
- Awareness of tax justice issues and experience working on social justice advocacy campaign
- University degree in Journalism, Communications, Social Sciences, Economics or related preferred.
- Self-initiating, flexible and able to succeed in a non-hierarchical, collaborative environment.
- Commitment to goals of Canadians for Tax Fairness.
- Compassion, humour and patience!
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in French would be an asset.
- Fundraising experience an asset.
In return, we’re offering: an annual salary of approximately $53,000 for four days of work a week, with flexible working hours and conditions. We don’t currently provide additional health or pension benefits. There will be a three-month probationary period. Members of equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. We are looking for someone to start in March 2021.
Location: The office of Canadians for Tax Fairness and much of our work is based in Ottawa. Due to the pandemic we are all currently working remotely, but proximity to Ottawa is preferred post-pandemic.
Application Deadline: 20 February 2021. Please send a covering letter, CV/resume, and relevant examples of your writing in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com specifying "Communications Coordinator Job Posting" in the subject line.