We’re excited to hire a third person to join our team in Ottawa. We're seeking a Policy Researcher and Campaigner, aka Tax Justice Warrior, who will be just as thrilled to work with us, and to make a difference.
Canadians for Tax Fairness is not-for-profit tax justice organization that advocates for fair and progressive tax policies aimed at reducing inequalities, funding quality public services and building a strong and sustainable economy. We have a small staff, work very collaboratively, and are looking for someone with a range of skills who will also be happy working in a flexible and collaborative working environment.
This work will involve:
Research and policy
- In collaboration with the director and communications coordinator, monitoring political, policy and economic developments in relation to tax justice issues, and developing research and policy advocacy priorities
- Conducting research and policy advocacy on tax justice issues, including research, writing and preparation of reports, briefs and shorter advocacy pieces.
- Assisting in preparation, editing and review of written material, including reports, briefs, newsletters, articles, blogs, opinion, social media and popular education material
- Contributing material for website, social media, and newsletter
- As required, representing the organization in interviews with news media and responds to requests for information from supporters and other members of the public
Government relations and advocacy
- In collaboration with the director and communications coordinator, developing and implementing our government relations and advocacy strategy
- Assisting with lobbying of politicians, government officials and other key decision makers and influencers, including helping to prepare and present briefs, submissions, participating and representing the organization in meetings as required.
- Organizing e-actions and media work in support of advocacy efforts
Public Education and Campaigns
- Helping to develop and implement outreach, campaign and public education events to raise awareness of tax fairness issues, increase our number of supporters and social media followers
- Working with Canadian and international allies in developing and implementing common tax justice campaigns
- Helping develop and assist with individual and organizational fundraising campaigns
- Assisting in preparing material for board meetings and follow-up
- Sharing in performing other administrative duties as required
We’re looking for someone with….
- Knowledge and expertise of tax justice issues
- Demonstrated experience in related research and policy advocacy
- The ability to communicate in a clear accessible style in oral and written communications
- Lobbying and government relations experience
- Experience working on social justice advocacy campaigns
- Strong organizational skills and the demonstrated ability to respond and complete work under tight deadlines
- Creativity, lots of initiative, dynamic energy, and the ability to thrive in a very collaborative and flexible working environment
- Commitment to the goals of Canadians for Tax Fairness
- A university degree—or more!—in economics, social sciences, public policy or related
- Fluency in English is essential; fluency in French would be an additional asset
In return, we’re offering: an annual salary of approximately $53,000 for four days of work a week, with flexible working hours and conditions. We don’t currently provide additional health or pension benefits. There will be a three-month probationary period. The office of Canadians for Tax Fairness and much of our work is based in Ottawa. Due to COVID we are currently working remotely, but proximity to Ottawa will be preferred. Members of equity-seeking groups are encourage to apply.
To apply: Send your resume with a covering letter to email@example.com by October 16, 2020, specifying “Policy researcher and campaigner job posting” in the subject line. Those interviewed will be asked for references and for examples of their work.