Canadians for Tax Fairness is seeking a highly motivated and skilled individual to join our collaborative team as our Researcher and Policy Analyst.
The successful candidate will play a crucial role in advancing Canadians for Tax Fairness' mission by conducting in-depth research, analyzing tax policies, and developing recommendations for progressive taxation in Canada. Working in a staff team of four and reporting to the Executive Director, our Policy Researcher will:
- Conduct comprehensive research on various aspects of tax policy, including personal and corporate income corporate tax, tax avoidance, tax burden, environmental taxes, wealth taxes and international taxation.
- Analyze existing tax policies and their impact on economic and social equality.
- Stay abreast of current economic and political trends, and assess their implications on tax fairness in Canada.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to develop evidence-based policy recommendations.
- Prepare detailed reports, position papers, policy briefs, blogs, opinion editorials, to communicate research findings and recommendations effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Engage with stakeholders, policymakers, and the public to advocate for progressive tax reforms.
- Participate in public events, conferences, and media engagements to represent Canadians for Tax Fairness and contribute to public discourse on tax policy.
- Create and sustain effective relationships with external researchers and analysts engaged in progressive economic policy and equity goals.
- Undertake project-based fundraising activities such as proposal development and assist with individual and organizational fundraising campaigns
- Assist with organizational communication and administrative duties, and other duties as required.
- A graduate degree in economics or other relevant social science field with a strong economic component. Commensurate training and professional experience will be accepted.
- Strong knowledge base in macroeconomics, public finance and taxation.
- Two to three years of relevant, hands-on research and policy experience.
- Proven experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research, preferably in the field of economic policy.
- Demonstrated experience in economic and financial data gathering, and statistical analysis, and in the use of data analysis tools such as Excel, R, SPSS, or equivalents. Familiarity with SPSD/M would be an asset.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and accessible manner.
- Familiarity with Canadian tax policies and an understanding of the broader economic, social and political context.
- Passion for social justice, economic equality, and tax fairness.
- Self-initiating, flexible and able to succeed in a small, non-hierarchical, collaborative environment.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in French would be an asset.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $65,000 - $80,000 based on experience.
Terms: There will be a three-month probationary period.
Location: C4TF staff work remotely with regular online meetings and occasional in-person meetings.
Members of equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: February 14th, 2024
Please submit your resume and cover letter electronically as a single PDF, labeled with your name, to email@example.com. Please specify "Researcher and Policy Analyst Job Posting" in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to provide a sample of their research or writing.